Photojournalism and Bias

 



Within this image I see a black African American man who’s playing the accordion. Not only is he playing the accordion but by looking at his face you could tell the type of emotion that he's going through. He's tears portray such strong emotions of how he's feeling. While majority of the white people in the back don't seem to show such strong emotion or any type of attitude towards the situation. I believe what this image is trying to tell all of us is how much this man has such deep appreciation and respect towards FDR. Especially based on the knowledge that I already know, where FDR has was able to support majority of the African American people on getting a job especially during those times. Thus why this man feels so deeply hurt with the death of FDR, because of the person he is and what he has left behind to him personally.

Three principles that this photographer I believed has used into this are subject's expression of course, black and white color, and background compliments. For subjects expression obviously the main subject is the black man and how his faces really expresses such hurt and grief. With the color he uses black and white to portray melancholy, death, and time period from a long time ago. And with background compliments he captured the white people in the back who are watching him like they don't care, how they don't have emotion, or even thinking he's acting too crazy, when he's really not. Having the background compliments really divides the mood for both stories.



TRUTH
Photographer: Santi Palacios 2016 

According to the photo above I consider this photo to be the truth. First of you can clearly tell the this photograph has not been edited as in fixed up our touched up on Photoshop. Because in most fake photos, a lot of photographers will try an edit the lighting making it look brighter or HD. As you can see here it is very dim not so much light and taken at the actual moment. Based on the article "Ways of knowing" they had stated four ways of telling if its real. One of the ways I've used it was the emotion/intuition. Just by looking at this picture it already made me feel like I was there at the moment. The way the children faces were and there posture on top of the quality of the image just sums up the whole message of how realistically real this is. With "Shahidul Alam" video, portraying being in the moment and experiencing what they feel that you as well have been through is what makes it more meaningful and mean so much more. 



    Just based on looking at the image it is clear to say how fake it looks. Believe it or not I used to think this image was real. But from my research and knowledge that I've been learning through this class, I've come to find out that this image is fake. It stated "the fact that there are two estimated dates for when the photo was taken, and there's also no approved photographer of this photo." You could also tell that just based on the background photo that it had weird lightnings on different places, the background did not look real. Also based on the article "Ways of Knowing" using sense of perception, that just makes sense to you. On top of Logics/Reasons, adding up the logic I've already know and the information I found within this photo, I just put two and two together. Also considering the video titled "I want to live" where Shahidul Alam had mentioned that being a photographer means a lot more when your taken images in certain situations that you've already experienced. In other words, it means a lot more and it is more realistic and true because your actually in it and you understand how the subject or the place is. In relation to this picture it is fake, because it looks so set up, as if it it's staged and whatever photographer it was, does he work there too? Another example from the article titled "How photos fuel the spread of fake news." Where it was giving an example of a meme of people that says trump destroying America. Which went viral. Because now people reacted to this and now wanted to destroy america which is crazy. This just goes to show that anyone could post any image that can look real but is fake and take it as if it's real.


.














Comments