The Ethics of Photojournalism
Believe it or not photojournalism consist of many ethical topics that could portray a lot of controversy, especially with todays media and and photojournalism today. A perfect example would be this famous photo taken by Sally Mann titled “White Skates” taken in 1990. These photos showed intimate pictures of her children, that were naked. The problem with this photo is the fact that it could be portrayed in so many different ways based on a each persons perspective. You’d get criticism on this image questioning it too look like its portraying pornography, fine arts, objectification, or even anything else different. This goes to show that “we have to second guess our art or documentary projects as others could find them, sick, disturbing or vulgar.” In other words, we really have to think about how photojournalists really have be specific and detailed and smart when taking certain pictures. Because anything could literally mean anything to anyone.
https://expertphotography.com/controversial-pictures/
In all honesty I had no idea that ethics could even play a part in photojournalism. My opinion on ethics is very strong. In other words, it makes such a huge difference. Because before when I would just look at images I would look at it just to love it, to love how it looks. Now I look at photos and I’m second guessing myself thinking if it’s real or not, based on what I learned about it. Which brings me back to photojournalists and how difficult and creative it is to be one. Photojournalists put as much work as any job you could do. Photojournalists really have to think out the box and really be a voice for others while being unique and original. Which why I respect photojournalists so much.

“White Skates” -Sally Mann 1990

“Saigon Execution” Eddie Adams

Comments
Post a Comment