Contemporary Photojournalism Issues Project
Within this project I wanted to focus on the topic of racism in general. To me this is very important because this tragic problem has been going on for years. I wanted to focus on specific time periods from generations ago up until today. I wanted to portray the fact that it has been this long and still noting has changed. Till this day black people are struggling to survive every day.
In order for me to have created this idea, I decided to use the symbol of the fist. The symbol of the fist represents unity and power within the people and the community. Coming together and uniting as one. I then took some famous photographs back in the day which are mostly located towards the bottom, specifically the black and whites. Eventually the pictures spread upwards with photographs you may have seen today and relate to what is going on now, representing with colors of course. Lastly I had wanted it to pop out more using the stripes representing sort of a propaganda feel.
Here are up close pictures of the project.
1. "Black power Salute" John Dominis 1968 : http://100photos.time.com/
2. "Trolly New Orleans" Robert Frank 1955 : http://100photos.time.com/
3. "Ondria Tanner and her Grandmother Window-shopping" Mobile Alabama 1956
"Department Store" Mobile 1956: https://www.gordonparksfoundation.org/gordon-parks/photography-archive/segregation-in-the-south-1956?view=slider#4
4. "Elizabeth Eckford" 1957, Associated Press photographer "Divided in Bus" 1956 : https://allthatsinteresting.com/segregation-in-america-photos#11
5. "George Floyd's remains arrive for memorial service at the Fountain of Praise Church in Houston, Texas on June 9", "Amari Jackson 7 yrs old," : https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2020/06/13/873427617/as-black-photographers-document-protests-they-tell-their-own-history-in-real-time
6: "Black light with fire, fist up." : https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/12/capturing-the-cry-for-change-photographers-on-the-blm-protests
7. "White hands photos" : https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2019/11/25/visualizing-racism-photo-essay/?arc404=true
8. "Upside down flag with fire in the back" " 1 women kneeling down in front of polices" "Hands up don't shoot" "Bloody Hand on police " "Police knees a black man on ground" "Little kid hugging a police officer" "I cant breathe duct tape" : https://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/black-lives-matter-movement-photos-44402442/image-71721116






Comments
Post a Comment