Is Photojournalism Art?
Photo by: Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen
Image Source: http://100photos.time.com/photos/wilhelm-conrad-rontgen-first-x-ray
Year Created: 1895
QUALITY
OF LIGHT
The photographer uses the quality of light to make it
very dramatic. In other words, he has the end to be very darkened while underneath
the hand it is seen way lighter, thus causes our eyes to focus more on the hand
itself.
RULE
OF THIRDS
Rontgen uses the rule of thirds here by causing our
eyes to focus on the little dark ball on the hand. I would say on the top right
corner. He could’ve taken the picture from a different perspective. However
having it this way made our eyes look towards the direction with the darken
ball spot.
CONTRAST
I do believe Rontgen didn’t mean to make it look this
way. It was more of how it naturally took its course within the picture itself.
He has more of a low contrast within the lights and the darks. Having it this
way really puts a mood in an image to make it feel a bit suspense and
curiosity.
WHY
DID I CHOOSE THE IMAGE?
I chose this image because this image to me had a lot
of significant historical facts. This image was captured to be the first
medical x-ray in 1895. Rontgen’s wife hand was taken to have the first x-ray.
Which I think is so interesting. If you think about it, without anyone knowing
about this. Doctors and nurses probably struggled to figure out what every
patient is going through. This photograph to me changed a lot to how it even
plays out up until now. Imagine you, capturing the first image of how a human
body looks inside.
Photo by: Unknown
Image Source: http://100photos.time.com/photos/lunch-atop-a-skyscraper
Year Created: 1932
RULE
OF THIRDS
I believe this photographer used the top middle for
rule of thirds. I would say it is more at the top rather than in the middle.
Only because the bottom part of the photograph is showing a lot of the
buildings. On top of the metal piece the men are sitting on.
BACKGROUND
COMPLIMENTS
In this photograph I don’t believe the background is
trying to compete for attention. If anything it is completing the whole
picture. It really compliments a whole. On top of that even though the
background at the top is a little dark and blurry and grey the bottom part
still reflects off on the main subject which are the men.
IS
IMAGE BLACK AND WHITE OR COLOR?
The image itself of course is black and white. I
believe that the photographer had a choice to choose color, although I believe
he didn’t because it would’ve taken time. On top of that, having the image in
black and white makes the image more emotional. In other words, having it in
black and white gives it that purity, cleanliness and perfection feel. If it
was in color it would’ve seem too much because this image does include a lot
going on.
WHY
DID I CHOOSE THIS IMAGE?
I chose this image because it related to me in so many
ways. First off this image was taken in NYC, which is where I live. Second,
till this day I see tons and tons of construction workers working morning till
night, busting their ass to do their job. And overall this is dangerous! “11
men casually eating, chatting and sneaking a smoke as if they weren’t 840 feet
above Manhattan with nothing but a thin beam keeping them aloft.” I can’t
imagine being that high up off the ground. The thing that really grabs my
attention within this photo, is the fact that these men will risk their own
lives for a job. A job they probably don’t even get paid a lot for. But what
makes it touch my heart is how happy they look, which makes me realize that you
can really appreciate the littlest things in life no matter how you’re living.
Photo by: Malcolm Browne
Image Source: http://100photos.time.com/photos/malcolm-browne-burning-monk
Year created: 1963
SUBJECTS
EXPRESSION
In this photograph the subject is definitely relaxed.
The Buddhist is calmly seated on the ground with his eyes closed and criss
crossed apple sauce. The body language that the subject fits his facial
expression of tranquil.
BACKGROUND
The background completely fits in with the main
subject of the photo. In other words, all the other people in the background
are not trying to stop him or hover over him. They just let him be, because
they understood what he was trying to message. I can tell this because the
background itself is in focus as well as the main subject.
EXPOSURE
TIME
I believe the photographer had used a fast shutter speed.
I say this because every supposedly movement in the photo is captured and in
focus. For instance, in the background where the people are slightly rushing or
running, is caught on focus. Another is the way the fire flames are in focus as
well.
WHY
DID I CHOOSE THIS IMAGE?
This has got to be one of my favorite top five photographs
that I personally admire. This photo to me is so powerful. And I feel as though
I can relate to it as well, in terms of culture and beliefs. The story behind it
is basically a Buddhist monk named Thich Quang Duc, who decided to “burn
himself to death as a protest to the South Vietnamese Diem regime’s
discriminatory Buddhist laws. He hope to show that to fight all form of oppression,
a sacrifice must be made. Hence his self-immolation.” This to me hits so
deep because of the sacrifices that he and probably other Buddhist monks would
go through to prove and honor their culture and beliefs. Having Duc do this to
himself gave me an insight on what they’re type of people have to go through or
what they had to do just to change or fix, or even just be heard about them.
This photograph is so powerful, that just by looking at it really felt like I
was there at the moment.



Comments
Post a Comment